Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Still in Kochi (Cochin)

We thought we would stay three four days, and here we are staying for a week! It's such a great place to be, it's hard to leave!

Today we visited the Paradesi Synagogue in Jew Town (really!), built in 1656 and still active as a museum and as a synagogue with services Friday night and Saturday and holidays. Only 5 families remain, apparently elderly, so they don't always have a minyan. Orthodox, women upstairs, the whole bit. Don't know if we will stay to partake, but seeing the Synagogue was great.

We have daily yoga classes with Sajee. He is bending me in all directions, beyond what I think I can do! Gentle, wise, emphasizing the spiritual life and aspect of yoga, which I love! Three hour classes daily - who knew I would want to do that? Then dinner together, satvic vegetarian food, delicious and home cooked! What an experience this has been!


I plan to go for a second Ayurvedic massage before we head onwards. The first one was wonderful, full body with warm oils, long strokes, not too much deep work, though he used his fingernails on points on the soles of my feet which was very intense! And some work on my right leg, thigh and calf was also painful. Then 15 minutes of steam in a steambox. The treatment was about an hour and a quarter, and cost 800 Rs (about $20).

Amy and I have bicycles rented for 50 Rs a day, and it's a great way to get around, though it's a little hairy with the drivers sometimes! Careful careful...

We saw a concert of classical South Indian music, with Vina (ancestor of the sitar) and Tabla. Amazing players, and sometimes both Amy and I thought the Vina player was rocking out! A bit of Clapton, Hendrix, others...great!


I am so impressed with the people here. Cochin is known for its diversity and tolerance, with over 30 religions and cultures peacefully coexisting for a long long time. Though of course they keep trying to sell you stuff, and will try to get as much as they can, overall, almost everyone is very honest, friendly, open to help, and just plain wonderful! Story: I went on an errand to pay for two more days of Amy's bike rental. I paid the wrong place! 100 Rupees for two days. This morning I went back, and before I said a word, the man said: "There's a mistake, I counted the bikes and your bike was not from here." And he handed me the 100 Rupees. I didn't ask. I said to him: "You know this place is so great, most people are completely honest. I trusted you last night with 100 Rupees to give to your brother, and I trusted you would return it today, and I was right to trust you. Thank you!"

Onwards and upwards.

1 comment:

  1. Such a nice story and so inspiring. Is 100 Rupees a lot for them?

    Any stories about the Jews from Jewtown. Where did they disappear? How did they show up there? The wandering Jew...I know there was immigration to Israel from India; many ended up in Dimona.

    30 religions and cultures?! I didn't know there are that many. I keep practicing and I found a 'gold mine' of free sheet music: Abba, Gershwin, Elvis others. Lots to learn.

    Have lots of fun, and enjoy everything. Keep the posts coming, they are very good. You could write a book!!

    Erich.

    ReplyDelete