Monday, February 8, 2010

Chauvinism

I am still working on reducing my prejudices and chauvinism. I have had this concept that we in the western world are more advanced than those in “developing” countries. I suppose there is truth in that in some respects. Still, it is amazing to be on this bus driving through the hills through towns and villages and seeing signs like “Computer Training – MCSE, CCSP, C, C++, Java, PHP”, or “Fatima Centre for Spinal Cord Regeneration”, Universities, Science Centres, Research Centres for Eco-Farming, Eye Care Hospitals. Everywhere!

I wanted to replace my prescription eyeglasses that I lost (that’s another story!). I went to an Eye Clinic in Mattancharry, and had an examination by a woman eye doctor. She was very pleasant, professional, and obviously well trained. The exam was very similar to the ones I have at my eye doctor in Toronto, though there was no computerized equipment. She tried various lenses manually until I could read the chart most clearly, and like my doctor in Toronto, she notices a yellowing of the lens indicating the start of early cataracts. I received a prescription for correcting my near-sightedness and astigmatism. The cost – 150 Rupees ($6.00!). I ordered medium quality attractive frames and good lenses with anti-scratch coating, cost – 6080 Rupees, about $150, and they are just fine!

Of course it’s not all the same here. One gentleman suggested that Fort Cochin would not be a good place to have a sudden illness emergency. He said you wouldn’t want to visit the local hospital, so you would need an ambulance to take you across two bridges to the hospital in Ernakulam. Apparently there is no medical care in the ambulance; it’s basically a taxi with a bed. So about an hour later with no medical help you might get to the decent hospital. I guess it’s good to avoid medical emergencies in many places in India.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,

    For a few days I did not look at your posts, and now I saw that there were developments on your trip.

    You are intrigued by their advances, and rightly so. I have a friend who has moved to Mexico, and he is telling me similar stories about eye doctors, glasses and yes, dentists. It is all high quality and a quarter of the prices that we are paying. Expats don;t go home to have treatment, they are going to Mexico.

    We are scared, that these people from the developing countries have caught up with us, from the developed countries. This is good for them and not so good for us. We must learn to run faster on the life's 'treadmill'.

    I hope you won;t end up needing an ambulance there.

    Cheers,
    Erich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erich: Thanks for your great comments. I'm glad you are enjoying my ramblings on our ramblings. I may have time to do a post today, we shall see.
    Regards from Rishikesh (we're in the North now!)

    ReplyDelete