Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ashram Experience




Amy and I rented a motorcycle (Royal Enfield) to be exact for 400 Rs/day (about $10). We traveled 3 1/2 hours to Neyyar Dam from Varkala, avoiding buses rickshaws potholes and animals along the way. We planned to spend two nights at the Sivananda Yoga Ashram, since we had to get back to Varkala to catch an early train three days later.

When we arrived, we were informed that the minimum stay is three nights, so we had to pay for three nights. There was a lot of paperwork, including pages of policies, procedures and rules that put me off. Nevertheless we had gone to a lot of trouble and effort to get there, so we signed on.

The Ashram is beautiful, next to a fresh water reservoir (hence Neyyar Dam), surrounded by lush hills. There is an Lion Safari Park across the lake, and as we did our yoga class on a pad by the lake we could hear the lions calling. The day is quite full and busy, wake up at 5:30, Meditation and Chanting and Satsang from 6-7:30, then tea, then yoga from 8 - 10 am, then brunch in a dining hall, sitting on the floor and eating satvic vegetarian food with our right hand. After brunch comes Karma Yoga (Selfless Service), where we volunteer to do chores - I helped sweep and wash the floors of the dining hall. A little free time - we went swimming. Then a lecture on Yoga from 2-3:30 pm, another Yoga class from 3:30 - 5:30. Dinner at 6, Satsang, Meditation and Chanting 8 - 9:30, lights out at 10.


I was starting to get into the swing of things, the Yoga was great, it was wonderful to chant and meditate with hundreds of people. There were things I loved, and there were things I had problems with. For one thing, I am not a Hindu, and there is a ton of Hindu practice going on, including prostrations to various deities, as well as to people who are either teachers or sadhus at the Ashram. Not for me. And the restrictions on coming and going were also a problem. We had to fill out paperwork and get an "Out Pass" before the security guard at the gate would let us out. We were not allowed to leaved Satsang in the middle, had to stay till the end, and so on.

What was great was doing Yoga so intensively, and by Yoga I mean practicing the eight limbs, not just physical. There is a strong spiritual element and a lot of focus on mind control. And though I was unfamiliar and even a little uncomfortable with all the Sanskrit chanting, I have been chanting to myself ever since we left - a real earworm. "Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya..." So it's powerful stuff!

We got a good taste, not sure if I would return, but we will have an opportunity to visit several ashrams here in Rishikesh to check them out. I understand that some allow you to come and go as you please, and to participate as you wish. Still rules of conduct I am sure, but that will likely work better for me.

So yes, we have left the south of India, which was not easy! I love the south of India. We took a rickshaw to a train to a rickshaw to a plane to a rickshaw to an overnight train to Haridwar to a rickshaw to Rishikesh! 27 hours total. It is Kumbh Mela time in this region, and a million pilgrims are expected in Hardiwar. Thousands of large tents set up in camps as we drove through this morning, the largest religious festival in the world which happens every four years. This year it's Hardiwar. It was cold here this morning, but now it's sunny and warm. We are recuperating today, catching up, and checking out the sites of Rishikesh.

Stay tuned...

More to come...

3 comments:

  1. Dear Paul:

    Found your post via a google alert on Rishikesh. I am looking to travel there soon and have become a follower of you blog, though sadly that doesn't seem to mean that I get an email when you update. I am also looking to study yoga somewhere - I understand it's "the yoga capital of the world" but I'm trying to get a bead on where to start looking for what I want before I go. Looking forward to reading your updates.

    thanks much
    gregoryp(tm)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    Well, you have developed a following. Great!!
    Everything you write sounds very exciting and it's discovery all over again.

    It seems that you are mostly having lots of fun, and everything is so inexpensive. Come to think of it, I hope that we don;t loose you to India. It would be a shame.

    Give my regards to Amy. She looks very good on this motorcycle; good that you know how to ride it, a necesary skill there I am sure.

    The Yoga compound sounds harsh, but if you want to learn their chant, what better way. By the way, after I practiced some of the Beatles songs (yes I still do it) I keep hearing the music in my inner ear. May be I am going coo coo.

    I found a site http://www.playpianotips.com/ run by a Chinese person Yoke Wong who sells a piano lear how to improvise kit. She claims that she can teach me all the tricks how to improvise.

    I know that you are busy and I am not sure if the internet access is readily available, but may be you can have a look at her samples and let me know if you think it's worth pursuing.

    Continue with the fun and posting.
    Erich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gregory: Nice to hear from you. In Rishikesh there are literally hundreds of yoga studios, ashrams and schools. Every flavour from Sivananda to Iyengar to Ashtanga to Vedic to ... So it depends on what you are looking for, but Rishikesh is wonderful! You might also check out my post on Yoga Master Sajee in Kochi Kerala, if you plan to be in the south. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete