Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cancun Experiences

Well this is my first blog in a long time! I hope this will get me going again. Amy and I flew to Cancun on Sunday November 27, and booked into a little B&B/Hostel right in the heart of Cancun (Mercado 28), to be joined by four of our kids! We were invited to a wedding of Amy's New York cousin, and we invited the kids to fly down here and join us, and we would cover room and board for the week. And four came! Of course we could have stayed at the wedding hotel in Playa Mujeres, but it would have cost more than our travel budget for three months! So here we are in this lovely B&B with our wonderful host Patricia, cooking meals together, hanging out and taking excursions. The wedding was great - seeing family and their friends celebrate on the beach - very beautiful. We could have stayed another day there in the lap of luxury, but again, the costs were just too high. Also, this kind of place is so exclusive, I am excluded! I've been thrown out of much nicer places (not really!). It's amazing how our style of travel has changed over the years. Now I so much prefer being in the local environment, reasonable and simple. We're still tourists, but we are not removed from the regular life of the city of Cancun. I never thought I would like being in Cancun, but this experience has been great! Yesterday, five of us traveled to Akumal, a lovely beach area where we could swim with giant turtles, sting rays, coral and lots of different tropical fish. We snorkeled and hung out, then traveled further to Tulum and the Grand Cenote, which is a spring-filled fresh water pool with fabulous caves. People were actually scuba diving through the caves, and apparently this water runs all the way to the ocean. Amazing! Today is a chill day, catching up on correspondence, blogging and checking out our next step. Two of the kids have now left to go back to Canada, a third one leaves tomorrow. Josh, Amy and I will take the overnight bus to Palenque tomorrow night, and stay there for about a week before Amy and I head to our apartment on Lake Atitlan! I will try to write about each place at least once, so if you are interested, please stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment