Thursday, April 1, 2010

Reflections on Toronto

We're baaack!

We returned from India in the middle of March, and now it's April! It took a couple of weeks to adjust, and I am really noticing the differences between my experience in India, and my experience here in Toronto.

My wife Amy always says hello to people everywhere. In an elevator, in the park, in stores, it doesn't matter. Sometimes I roll my eyes, but almost invariably, I see people light up with a genuine smile. I find that many people here in Toronto are hiding their light, and it takes someone like Amy to get them to let it out a little.

In India, in spite of material poverty, pollution, over-crowding, garbage everywhere, corruption and so on, people generally are bright-eyed and open (not as much in big cities I might add). They are smiling at us, the visitors, asking "What is your good name?", "What is your country?", "How are you enjoying India?", "Where have you been?". Genuine interest and friendliness for no other reason than to share a little spirit with us.

So without romanticizing or being to cheezy, wouldn't it be nice if we could all take a deep breath here in Toronto, and smile at each other! The light is here as much as it is there, but it's hidden by traffic jams, rushing around the rat race, worry, fear, anger and all the other negative factors that hide our light. Light is everywhere, so let's shine! This moment is beautiful, the past is done, and the future doesn't exist. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment